The Peaks of Camino del Apu Ausangate Trek – 6 Days
✈️ Search Flights
💎 Why we love it ?
The Peaks of Ausangate – An incredible 6-day trek & climb Peru adventure in the Cordillera Vilcanota, on a route known as the “Camino del Apu Ausangate”. The “Apu” is the bearer of life and guardian of one of the most pristine mountain ecosystems in the world. A stunning and diverse route showing you a part of Peru that is largely untouched by tourism. Communities here continue to live traditionally and without many of the modern utilities that are in use today. Collecting you early from Cusco taking private transport; to meet up with our arrieros and mules at the start point. They will accompany us for the duration of the trek and climb expedition.
🏁 Tour Itinerary: The Peaks of Camino del Apu Ausangate Trek – 6 Days
Day 1: Cusco – Anantapata (B, L, D)
Early in the morning, you’ll leave Cusco to begin this Peru adventure. On a bus ride along the Vilcanota River Valley, and on to the town of Checacupe. After a visit to its Colonial Church of the Immaculate Conception, you’ll start ascending the Pitumarca Valley, through the spectacular Japura Gorge that leads to Chillca, we will start the trek near the Ausangate Community, from there we will see the south face of the sacred Ausangate Mountain, as we continue towards the red sandstone formations of the “Nevado del Inca“.
🏚️ Accommodation: Camping Anantapata.
- Maximum Altitude: 4750 masl / 15580 fasl
- Approximate Walking Time: 3 hours
- Approximate Driving time: 4 hours
Day 2: Anantapata – Huampacocha via Rainbow Mountain (B, L, D)
After breakfast, we take the trail to another mountain pass. Dropping down, we’ll hike by Lake Kayrawiri, surrounded by rugged mountain peaks and the great valley below. Striations of color are embedded in the hillsides. Then we go on to Cerro Laya Grande via the massive glacier del Inca and the most striking colors in the sediments of Yauricunca. This area is called ‘Montana Arcoiris’ by the locals and is often referred to as ‘Rainbow Mountain’ by visitors, the spectacular colors make for amazing photography. We lunch here in this unique landscape. On our way, we see hundreds of Andean geese nesting in the cliffs of Anta, and the flatiron formations of Apu Labrayani near Huampococha Tambo, where we will spend the night at the Camino del Apu Ausangate.
🏚️ Accommodation: Camping Huampococha.
- Maximum Altitude: 4980 masl / 16388 fasl
- Approximate Walking Time: 7 hours
Day 3: Huampacocha – Pacchanta (B, L, D)
After a last climb over the Anta pass, we will gradually make our descent. In this section, the first crops and houses come into view. The landscape changes quickly as the red sandstone formations are followed by the Carsten erosion of limestone, forming a one-of-a-kind stone forest, and a perfect habitat for “vizcacha” (members of the chinchilla family). By the time we get down the valley, we’ll continue to head towards Pacchanta.
🏚️ Accommodation: Campsite.
- Maximum Altitude: 4900 masl / 16100 fasl
- Approximate Walking Time: 4 hours
- Approximate Driving time: 3 hours
Day 4: Pacchanta – Qampa Nevado Base Camp (B, L, D)
In Pacchanta, the following day we meet the muleteers and cook of the expedition, after lunch we start the hike 4 hours to the base camp, with impressive views of the main snowcapped Cusco region such as Ausangate (6384 masl), Cayangate (6110 masl) and others, always accompanied by llamas and alpacas. Already in the base camp, the personal high mountain equipment (harnesses, crampons, ice axes, helmets, leggings, gloves) will be delivered, the high mountain guide will teach you the correct way of using the equipment, how to act on a glacier, and have them ready for promotion.
🏚️ Accommodation: Qampa Nevado Base Camp. (Dinner is at 6 pm, then everyone can rest)
Day 5: Base Camp – Summit – Qampa Nevado Base Camp (B, L, D)
Leaving at 3 am you’ll have a light breakfast, it is necessary to attack a mountain at dawn. You’ll leave the base camp and in 2 hours of ascent by moraine arriving at the glacier, where we prepare ourselves with the mountain equipment to enter the glacier. Within about 3 hours on the glacier, you’ll reach the summit of the Qampa Mountain which is 5,500 meters above sea level. Taking half an hour on the summit to rest and enjoy the high Andean landscapes, surrounded by much of the snowy mountains of the Cordillera Vilcanota. The descent to the base camp will take a further 3 hrs, where lunch will be taken and you’ll have the whole afternoon free to rest after an intense day.
🏚️ Accommodation: Qampa Nevado Base Camp. (A special dinner will be prepared ready for 6 pm)
Day 6: Qampa Nevado Base Camp – Pacchanta – Cusco (B, L)
Leaving at 9 am for Pacchanta after breakfast, arriving at Pacchanta in about 3 hours where there’ll be the option to enter the thermal baths and buy handicrafts from Pacchanta and then have lunch and return to the City of Cusco whereby around 6 pm you’ll be dropped to your hotels, and you can spend the evening relaxing and recalling a great route!
Terms & Conditions
Refunds & Cancellation Policy for Unu Raymi Expeditions E.I.R.L
Our refunds and cancellation policy is as follows:
Cancellation fee: $35 (plus any trip resource costs paid & bank charges to be incurred) then
60 days prior to arrival: 60% of total trip price (if paid in full, pro-rated for a deposit payment)
59 – 31 days prior to arrival: 50% refund of total trip price
30 – 8 days prior to arrival: 40% refund of total trip price
7 – 0 days prior to arrival: 0% refund of total trip price
NOTE: Refunds percentages are based on 100% of the trip price. Please note that flight purchases are not included in the above table and the refund of any flights is subject to the cancellation/refunds policy of the individual airline, nor are any other non-refundable resources purchased as part of the trip. If circumstances beyond the control of the traveller prevents the traveller in participating in the tour, the tour’s normal cancellation terms shall still apply.
CFFT: We now offer credit for future travel (CFFT), as a means of replanning your trip in the event of unforeseen circumstances (travel that is impacted by pandemias, travel bans etc.) that delays your arrival, requires postponement for a short period or will require entirely changing the dates of your trip for another year. We offer as much flexibility as we can, and reservations with hotels & domestic airlines will be altered in-line with their own reservation policies to fit the re-programming of your trip.
Booking Terms & Conditions
- Our terms to confirm a reservation are to take a deposit up-front to secure the trip, a deposit can be between 20 – 50% of the trip value, depending on the complexity of the trip and the resources required.
- A deposit is due once a trip plan has been agreed in full by both parties, and the trip balance to be paid in full at least 5 weeks prior to trip departure to ensure all resources are secured for the trip.
- We ask for the full trip price to be paid 5 weeks prior to arrival to finalise all of the trip reservations before a pre-agreed departure date.
- If you are interested in taking a trip with us, you will have read and understood all the points of the booking terms & conditions that are stipulated on this page. This is inclusive of bookings or reservations through the following booking agents: TripAdvisor, Viator, Bookmundi, Expedia, Tourradar, Tourhub, Tripways or any other third party booking agent not mentioned here.
- If you sign off a trip deal with us, you are automatically accepting the booking conditions for yourself (your party). Your payment of a deposit is taken as confirmation of your acknowledgement of the terms & conditions on this page.
- Your booking will be accepted and becomes valid only when we send you a confirmation email or an invoice.
- Only when we do this will a contract come into existence between Unu Raymi Expeditions and yourself (your party), and will commence from the date stated in the email or the invoice.
- As a traveller with us, you will accept the decisions that are made by us for the operation of your trip & the decisions made by our guides and leaders of Unu Raymi Expeditions during your trip.
- If there is any person whose health or conduct prior to or after departing for the tour, seems to endanger the comfort, safety and happiness of the rest of the clients, then that person may be excluded from the entire tour or certain parts of it.
- If the health of a traveller is not fit or suffers during the trip, then Unu Raymi Expeditions will make necessary arrangements for them, but this is not mandatory. Any additional costs associated with this treatment will be incurred by the traveller(s) themselves, though costs will be minimised by the use of our own licensed nurse.
- If a traveller does something that is illegal, they will be excluded from the tour and the company will have no responsibility for them.
- If you have a specific medical condition that can affect the enjoyment of other people or prevent you from participating in the tour, please let us know about it when you book a trip.
- No refunds are made for those facilities or services that have not been used. As a traveller, it is your own responsibility to have a valid passport, visa permit and necessary medicines on you during the tour. We will provide you with the latest information on these items and matters, but we have no liability towards them.
- Should you change or alter the dates of your trip we reserve the right to amend any previously agreed plan based on the best course for the time of season & logistical requirements to deliver the trip (this may involve a revision of trip pricing).
- Travel or adventure insurance is the responsibility of the traveller to provide for themselves for the duration of the trip services.
- Public liability & indemnity insurance is not available in Peru as a service, therefore is it down to the individual or group party to ensure they are insured and make adequate provision for accidents or incidents that may occur during your agreed trip plan with Unu Raymi Expeditions.
- Unu Raymi Expeditions is not liable for any additional extras incurred relating to medical treatment, evacuation costs or additional services related to accidents or incidents that may occur during your trip with us.
Fitness Levels & Age
- Before you book a tour, you must be absolutely sure that you have the requisite fitness level and would be able to complete your entire chosen travel itinerary. Any activity at altitude can be strenuous so we highly recommend you are well prepared & ready for your trip before arrival.
- If your age is more than 60 years, we highly recommend you to obtain medical advice that you have acceptable strength and fitness.
- Unu Raymi Expeditions will not permit any person less than 18 years of age or a minor to travel unaccompanied.
Ill Health or Disability
- If you are suffering from any illness or a disability, undergoing a medical treatment of some sort or have any other medical issues that the company should know about, you will have to let us know when you make your booking.
- Clearly state the nature of your condition and submit a request for any medication or treatment that you may need during the tour. In case you fail in informing us about such a situation, it would imply that you have breached these booking conditions which may result in your being exempted from the tour. In all these cases, no refunds are made whatsoever. Moreover, if your tour features include something like transportation via boat, you should let the company know if you cannot swim when you book the tour.
- You will not be stopped from going on the tour, but the details will let Unu Raymi Expeditions make arrangements for measures that provide you with additional safety.
Visas, Passport and Vaccinations
- As a traveller, it is entirely your own responsibility to have a valid passport, visa permit and required medicines for you (your party) during your tour.
- We will provide you with the latest information on these matters, but you accept that we have no liability towards them.
- Occasionally, as part of a trip plan, we may need to outsource operations to a third partner. These will be operators of very good reputation that we know and work with.
- All parts of any trip plan that are to be outsourced will be clearly communicated during the trip planning process.
- We reserve the right to alter, amend, postpone or cancel services arising from circumstances outside of our control (for example, but not limited too – local strikes affecting transport passage, severe or adverse weather conditions, pandemias etc.). In these kind of circumstances we will always to seek to find the best available alternative for your trip.
- We reserve the right to act in a manner that is responsible & delivers the security of your trip so as not to incur or present any significant risk or danger to your health & safety.
- Unu Raymi Expeditions will use the personal information you (your party) provide us with for organising all of your travel arrangements. Occasionally we may have to pass it on to our suppliers (if required for your trip) so that we are able to fulfill operations of the services which you have requested.
- However, we will endeavor to protect your information at all times, and use it only for official purposes for that which is necessary.
- Your receipt of a trip deposit is acknowledgement & acceptance of these terms and confirms that you (your party) have taken ample time to read the Booking Terms and Conditions. You also confirm that you (your party) have fully understood all the clauses and provide consent to all of them.
- You accept that any written or promotional material received or taken prior to, during & after your trip with us (photo media, videos, comments, communication etc.) bearing your name or image can be used by Unu Raymi Expeditions for promotional purposes in relation to business only.
There are no inquiries yet.